From Ancestris Genealogy Program
IMPORTANT To install and run Ancestris, you need Java from Sun Microsystem (now Oracle).
Java 1.6.x is a minimum requirement for Ancestris 0.7; for Ancestris 0.8 beta, you need to run at least java 18.104.22.168. You have to know that Ancestris 0.7 won't run with Java 1.8.x. So to summarize:
- Ancestris < or = to 0.7 requires Java 1.6.x to Java 1.7.x
- Ancestris > or = to 0.8 requires Java > or = to 22.214.171.124
(So if you run java 1.8.x you can't run Ancestris 0.7 but Ancestris 0.8 and above will work just fine).
To check which version you have on your system, you can visit the Verify Java Version web page.
If you prefer an open-source implementation of the Java Platform, OpenJDK is another possibility.
We are writing a user guide for Ancestris v. 0.7. It is not finished, but as people have requested us to make it available, you can download it. Of course, this guide is updated from time to time. So even if you have downloaded it already, it's always a good idea to get the latest version. Ancestris v. 0.7 user's manual (pdf file).
An old guide written for Ancestris v. 0.5 is still available. Ancestris v. 0.5 user's manual.
Some plugins have their own documentation written by their author. Check this section.
We have tried to gather different questions/answers related to Ancestris.
Of course, you can find everything in the available documentation, the Forum, etc., but some questions come from time to time, and we think it's a good idea to put all those questions and answers somewhere.
This is the purpose of our How-To.
We could add different videos to explain how to use Ancestris. These are the first ones. If you find them useful and want us to make new ones, please send us an email. We need some feedback about those videos. Thanks.
- How to add a child (in english). Here you will see how to add a child from the different views of Ancestris. How to delete one. How to move a child from one family to another, etc.
- Window management (in french - even if you don't understand french, the video is self explanatory). Learn what you can do with the different views Ancestris offers. How to open, move, float, or dock a window, etc...
- How to add a death property to an individual, with all information associated, plus the source of information, with an image of the deaths register (in french - again, even if you don't understand french, the video is self explanatory). In this video, you will learn how to add a death property to an individual using the gedcom editor, their date and place of death, the source of information, all elements about that source (event, page, ...), and a scan (an image) of the death certificate.
- This page was last modified on 19 April 2017, at 18:38.
- This page has been accessed 43,024 times.